Monday, February 12, 2018

B-Roll Camera Shots

B-Roll Camera Shots



Left to Right "Slider" Shot:
Is a slide from left to right with smooth motion and no rotating of the camera, usually.
This shot requires: 
  • Camera w/ SD Card
  • Slider for best stability and movement. However you could use a stedi-cam and walk if its a longer shot or just shoot it and use "Warp Stabilizer" when editing.
  • Large depth of field
Left to Right "Rotating" Shot
Rotate while moving from left to right. Can move camera to rotate and see 180 degree view of subject. Goes from pointing out, to rotating in, to pointing out again.

Downward Zoom "Reveal" Shot
Moving forward and zooming in while also panning down to reveal subject. Every dramatic and adds a sense of nobility to subject by first pointing to the sky.

Straight Ahead Zoom Shot
I wouldn't use this shot in my film because it's more sophisticated and this technique is too much street style and rap music video ish. But maybe I can utilize it in a later film.

Horizontal Plane "Tracking" Shot
I would like to use a version of this shot in my film where I track down the length of a guitar shaft ti reveal Jacks hands strumming and then zoom out and rotate to his face so I will be combining both this shot and a Up to Down "Rotating" Shot.

Crane Shots

The camera is attached to a crane that can capture shots from high angles and either pan up or down or any combinations of shots. Can add a rally dramatic effect. One of my favorites is tracking the subject from behind then lifting up in a smooth motion to reveal landscape and location.

Ariel Shots
Drones or helicopters catch the entire setting of a scene from a birds eye view.

Tilt Shots
Tilt shots are when a camera moves up and down from a fixed axis. Usually tracking something with the movement, revealing an object, or casting away from a subject.

Tracking Shots
Shots in which the camera is on a track or something that allows the camera to follow a subject as it moves.

Rolling Shots
The camera moves diagonally making the image slanted and usually suggests intoxication.

Zoom Shots
Using the camera lens to zoom in and out. (zoom out and zoom in shots)

Panning Shots
Where the camera slowly moves side to side across a scene on a fixed set of axis.

Arc Shot
Using the camera in a circular motion around an object to show subject from all angles.
I made this to refresh my memory on the different shot types involving movement. I know all the still shots because we did them in previous classes but we never really studied movement. So above are a bunch of different shots that involve movement. I feel the use of movement enhances films and makes them look so much more professional that with still shots. Its more realistic to the human eye because we are never really looking at something completely still. Our breathing causes a constant rise and fall of our chest that then moves our heads and eyes as well. Without even realizing it we are constantly looking at things while moving. Therefore its only natural to have our cameras moving while making films. Its also more interesting because you see more from different angles than with a still shot. I'm not saying I'll never use still videos in my films because I am. I will Have three cameras set up in my interview on tripods and they will al be stationary. This is common in interviews because you usually only have one take so incorporating movement would be complicated and require man power I do not possess. But by contrasting movement with stillness in my film I will be able to differentiate the interview from the B-Roll and illustrate how Jack is always moving in his life, he's always doing something. And this interview is a moment in time when he is still so that footage will be still.

WorkLog:
Monday-Went in Lighting Studio and set up multiple cameras and messed around with lighting again
Tuesday- Talked with photography teacher to reserve lighting studio and what times and dates would work.
Wednesday- No school
Thursday- 2 hour delay, went in film studio and messed around with lights
Friday- Started sketching different B-roll shots I want to get

No comments:

Post a Comment